madbkwm

madbkwm

Lift - Kelly Corrigan So this isn't really a book...it is a "letter" to Corrigan's daughters, but mostly just a memoir of her thoughts on motherhood and her wishes and hopes for her daughters. She highlights some sad and scary moments and comments on the importance of the mundane in everyday life.

It reminded me a bit of Michael Chabon's book of non-fiction stories (Manhood for Amateurs); there are some great comments and Corrigan does a great job of capturing the simultaneous guilt, boredom, and affection one feels through a normal day of parenting. Some of my favorites quotes are below:
"Looking up at him, I wished I knew his faces a little better. Cousin Kathy once told me it takes ten years to learn your spouse; we'd barely been married for three."
"Almost every day I yell at one of you so loudly that my throat hurts afterward...I hold it together and hold it together and then, when the bickering picks up again, I just detonate."
"If John Lennon was right that life is what happens when you're making other plans, parenthood is what happens when everything is flipped over and spilling everywhere and you can't find a towel or a sponge or your 'inside' voice."
"My default answer to everything is no. As soon as I hear the inflection of inquiry in your voice, the word no forms in my mind, sometimes accompanied by a reason, often not....I often wish I could come back to life as your uncle, so I could give you more. But when you're the mom, your whole life is holding the rope against these wily secret agents who never, ever stop trying to get you to drop your end."

Ironically, I read this while sitting on my couch on a rainy day after refusing to play outside with my kids. I just was not willing to be out in the cold rainy weather and they were not interested in playing a board game or some other inside activity with me. Overall it is a quick read (under an hour) and really just a short essay.