madbkwm

madbkwm

Incantation - Alice Hoffman So I wasn't convinced this was the Spanish Inquisition. I mean, clearly, that is when it is supposed to be set, but something about the language and the freedom enjoyed by Estrella and Catalina just didn't feel like 1500s to me. The language was also just too flippant.

That said, it was certainly a compelling (and short) book. Seriously, it was less than 2 hours concentrated reading in a period of 7 hours total. It was not very complex, but well done.

I think my favorite passages all had to do with love and truth:
"That's the way love sounds, my mother told me. You think it should feel like honey, but instead it cuts like a knife."

"Just becuase something is unspoken doesn't mean that it disappears."

"That was how you knew love. My mother had told me that. All you had to do was imagine your life without the other person, and if the thought alone made you shiver, then you knew."

"You think you know somebody, but what do you know? Only what they want to show you. Remember it's what's inside that matters."

"Sometimes a lie was told in the best interest of someone you loved."

It really was a beautiful story, with a great concept (are we really who we are even if we don't know it?), but was just a short story (and a bit anachronistic) hence the 4 (and not 5) star rating.