madbkwm

madbkwm

The Postmistress - Sarah Blake, Orlagh Cassidy This book reminded me of the Guernsey Potato Peel Society. It was about WWII (obviously), set in a small town, and appeals mostly to older women (I think). My husband's grandma adored Guernsey and I think she'd like this one as well.

It is cute-sy and romantic and a bit bold (but not too much) in the way that older ladies like. Personally, I found it boring and yucky.

There was nothing very compelling; I thought it was going to be about the postmistress (gee, wonder why), but really her story is about 25% of the book. And in fact the big coup de grace (when Iris fails in her duty to deliver a letter) doesn't happen until 74% of the way through the novel (I don't have page numbers on this version of my kindle book). Most of the book is about narrator/radio gal Frankie.

Besides that, the details were all too conveniently placed. Frankie has random sex with an almost stranger (she doesn't even know his name), which seems so out of character and is placed just after she sort of scorns her roommate for having an affair AND PROCEEDS the biggest bombing that we have encountered so far in the novel.

Iris gets her "certificate" in the opening scene (I could just see Blake rubbing her hands together and thinking she is so clever with this) and then we discover that she has not even really had an in-depth conversation yet with Harry (let alone a first date). Really? I think Blake was trying to set us up so that the reader understands just how fastidious Iris really is, but instead it just comes across as odd (not only that she requires this certificate, but that she would get it potentially months before she would actually sleep with him..if she even ever goes out on a date with him!).

And then, Frankie shares her recordings with Otto and it turns out that his wife was in Gurs and she breaks through to him and gets a confession that he is a Jew. Really? No one in the city had figured out that maybe he was a refugee before this point? I know that they had made references to him being a spy, but that was the "young, wild" boys..I sort of assumed that most of the town could figure out what was up; the fact that it takes Frankie's recordings to pull it all together is just too cheesy and cheap.

Finally, Harry dies on the same day that he spots the Uboat and Emma finally gets the news about Will. BLECH! All just too convenient and wrapped up too nicely.

Overall not worth the bother for the discriminating reader.