madbkwm

madbkwm

Tell the Wolves I'm Home: A Novel - Carol Rifka Brunt So this is one of those books that shows up on lists and then after reading the first chapter feels so hokey (AIDS and 1987 and young girl coming of age) that I just really want to hate it. About 50 pages in, I wanted to give this book a 1 star rating. But there were some redeeming moments and a few good quotes, so in the end I had to bump it up to a 2 star.

I think my biggest complaint was the whole "I'm in love with Finn" thing. Don't we all have silly crushes on adults who are nice to us during our difficult teen years? Isn't it odd that Greta was so upset about being ditched that she attempts to sabotage everything else? Is she sleeping with the theater teacher? There were just so many weird dramatic elements that didn't have to be quite so dramatic. I think as a character piece the development of the relationship between June and Toby in the wake of Finn's death could have been so much more.

So, here are my two favorite quotes:
"And I suddenly understood that getting drunk was just one more way to leave this place, this time."

"It seemed like life was a sort of narrowing tunnel Right when you were born, the tunnel was huge. You could be anything,. Then, like, the absolute second after you were born, the tunnel narrowed down to about half that size....I figured on the day you died, the tunnel would be so narrow, you'd have squeezed yourself in with so many choices, that you just got squashed."