madbkwm

madbkwm

The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker I thought this book was very well done. I would categorize it as young adult (akin to House of the Red Scorpion), rather than adult fiction. The language was compelling, the story was interesting, the science (I really have no idea how accurate it was) seemed plausible and the relationships were solid.

My biggest complaint was that she seemed more like 7th or 8th grade than 6th grade. Certainly some of the things are appropriate (developing breasts and buying bras, kissing boys), but drinking beer (she is 11) and dissecting frogs seems too out there.

I also thought it was odd that it ends 11 years later (she is 23) and she is still pining for Seth, but she never takes a trip down to Mexico to try to find him. Certainly if she is still lonely and hung up on him, she could drive to the address that she has mailed things to and see if there is anyone left.

I was slightly annoyed that they kept referencing the same real time commune (Circadia) even though there were presumably several in the area and I found it ridiculous that a third girl (Gabby, Chip, but not Grandpa), Molly was there when they went out to look at it.

My three favorite quote are below, including the explanation for the title:

"But I guess it never is what you worry over that comes to pass in the end. The real catastrophes are always different---unimagined, unprepared for, unknown."

"This was middle school, the age of miracles, the time when kids shot up three inches over the summer, when breasts bloomed from nothing, when voices dipped and dove."

"This was the first time I noticed it, the inevitable space between father and man. A frustrated man was standing there on that pavement. A stranger would have recognized the signs from a distance as my father rushed to close the gate. These were the sharp movements of a furious human being."