madbkwm

madbkwm

The Stone Diaries - Carol Shields Ho hum. I have heard of this book and seen lots of references and so it was put on my list. Overall there was some good, some bad but nothing really striking. I think the best part is that the protagonist was born in 1905 and so we get to see (as a reader) a bunch of historical change throughout the course of the novel. There are some interesting comments on relationships and love; certainly poignant thoughts on depressions and women's roles. However, I kept coming back to the problem of perspective. This is supposed to be Daisy's autobiography and yet we get other people's perspectives (her kids, her best friends, her dead mother) throughout. We also get her death at the end; I just had a problem with the omniscent yet supposedly personal narration. How do we trust the narrator (who acknowledges that she is the main character and may present herself in a more positive than accurate light), and then have that narrator flip perspective to another character? I was just distracted. I think it would have been better if the narrator was completely third person or did not try to jump out of Daisy's perspective ever.