madbkwm

madbkwm

The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein So...I can picture the overweight woman licking her ice cream and giggling softly to herself while reading this book and giving it a five star rating. I am a dog person and for the first 40 pages or so, I thought the concept of this book was cute. Written from the perspective of the dying dog, we get all sorts of quips about life (which is of course, racing in the rain...the road is unpredictable and requires split second decisions and some people are better drivers than others), lots of which are true: "any problems that may occur have ultimately been caused by you, because you are responsible for where you are and what you are doing there." and "People are always worried about what's happening next. They often find it difficult to stand still, to occupy the now without worrying about the future. People are not generally satisfied with what they have; they are very concerned with what they are going to have.", but none of which are profound.

It was too cliche, too blatant and too cutesy for my taste.