madbkwm

madbkwm

The False Friend - Myla Goldberg Ugh. There was absolutely nothing redeeming about this book. The writing was masturbatory (Goldberg simply spews all over the reader in an attempt to be "literary"; instead it is just overwritten garbage); the story was dumb (girls are mean as kids...this does not traumatize them as adults); the "mystery" is not compelling (I really only believed that Celia had left Djuna for about 5 pages, then I started thinking about the likelihood of the adult search party, etc); the main character is note believable (she is up-tight and completely organized, how could her overly logical mind believe that she killed her friend 20 years ago?); the secondary characters were forced (the relationship between both Celia and her parents and Celia and Huck came across solely as a plot supporter...instead of developing her character as I believe Goldberg meant to do, these relationships just appear transparent and contrived).

The only good thing that came of this is that it was scheduled for a book club that I was thinking of quitting (the people in it are all quite a bit older than I am and their discussions have been less than scintillating to say the least); I am pretty sure I know who recommended it and equally sure that if I showed up at book club to trash the book I would not really be welcome to come back. Best thing about the novel is that it gives me the impetus to finally stop attending a mediocre group.