madbkwm

madbkwm

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness Not impressed. I had heard good things and this book kept showing up on recommendation lists, but it was just a vampire/witch love drama. There was nothing especially original about either the supernatural creatures (with the potential exception that there are three creatures...vampires, witches, and deamons, BUT I'm still not clear on what makes a deamon a creature..they appear to be just very creative/intelligent humans, where is there otherworldly power??); the characters were thin stereotypes; and the plot (the only piece that could have been interesting at this point) was straightforward. Unfortunately, the one interesting piece (the damn manuscript that starts all of this) was never resolved. I could see the story threads throughout (felt like I expected Ken Follet's work to feel...read three pages and then drama/fight/bloodshed) and really felt the construction of the novel (something my husband is always aware of when he reads but I can usually fall into a book and not see it).