madbkwm

madbkwm

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender I liked the beginning of this book; we all talk about "baking with love" and I was intrigued by the concept of a person who could identify not just flavors, but emotions through their food. Certainly, the dysfunctional family was slightly compelling, but overall at the end I just felt like the author gave up. Throughout the novel I waited patiently for some eureka moment of revelation. I expected Joseph not to return, I assumed the father had some sort of "power," but ultimately I wanted Rose to experience something moving. For a depressing kind of book, the end was ultimately even more of the same. This is a mundane super-hero book; the characters are un-interesting, un-inspiring, and overwhelmingly, heartbreakingly, boringly normal except they have these odd abilities. Shouldn't the novel go somewhere? Was anyone else just annoyed that the end result is...and so we are all plagued with our uniqueness in a bland world? Ultimately my favorite character is the mom who at least has the guts to do something about her unhappiness and remove herself from the bland-ness of the oppressive household.