madbkwm

madbkwm

My American Unhappiness - Dean Bakopoulos I was very disappointed with this book. I read his first book (Please don't come back from the moon) and thought it was insightful and entertaining. My American Unhappiness lacked a sense of focus (how many times do we have to read almost the same paragraph attributing individual unhappiness to the Bush Administration? I mean, I was a fan of Clinton and quite relieved when Obama took office, but really are we going to talk about politics through this very personality based novel?), was very contrived (did anyone else feel like we stumbled into an American male version of Bridge Jones's diary?), and lacked any real insight. While David Foster Wallace's epic Infinite Jest had many of it's own problems, at least it addressed unhappiness in a real and interesting philosophical way. Bakopoulos took a potentially interesting matter, defined it as distinctly different from sad and then created a sad (per his own definition) character to ramble pointless through the novel.